Re: Parrallel query, server, option...

From: Atul Ashar <Atul_Ashar_at_ccmail.bms.com>
Date: 1997/02/11

JJ Reynolds wrote:

> Are the parallel query and server options the same? Also, if my

They are different. In case of Parallel Query Option (PQO), more that one processes are used to execute single query and hence it is used on SMP systems. Whereas in case of Parallel Server Option (OPS), more than one instances are used to access a common database and hence it is used for MPP systems. You can combine both if you have MPP systems with each node having more that one processor.

> database is primarily written to, is there an advantage to upgrading to
> the parallel option?

Probably not. PQO is mainly used in case of full tablescan queries. However, you can also use it for mass data loading, table or index creation, etc.

> I read somewhere that to use the parallel query option, your datafiles
> had to be on raw devices... is this true? If so, why? I already have a

That will be OPS.