Re: How do I disallow SELECT * from any table for end users?

From: Sylvie Bérubé <sberube_at_cam.org>
Date: 1997/02/11

Mirwais Qader wrote:

> I am trying to prevent end users (or at least some of them) from
> using SELECT * from [table] i.e., I want them to say
> SELECT X, Y, Z from [table] ....
>
> Is there a way that I can lock this out on the server side i.e., not
> through the applications (Forms etc...)?
>
> Can I say something like: "if user = dba, then allow else disallow"?
>
> Thanks for any info.
> PS. Please respond by email if possible!
>
> -Mir.

Mir, why don't you create a view that would only have specific columns on that table? Then for a user that must only access this view give him a synonym with the same as the table name but pointing towards that view instead.
Hope this helps.

Sylvie Bérubé
sberube_at_cam.org Received on Tue Feb 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CST