Autopopulation by concatenation

From: Coburn Watson <cpw_at_slip.net>
Date: 1997/02/10

I have a relatively basic table which, when insertions are made, I would like the last field (trackid) to be generated by concatenating the values of the first two fields (num1 & place1). For example, if I insert a row into this table with the data (num1, place1)values (4, paris), then I would like my trackid field to be "4paris". I attempted to perform this action with an AFTER INSERT trigger, but I get the "mutating" table error. I take this is since the data which the trigger is relying on has just been inserted and is unavaible for selection (?!?). Any help would be appreciated.

Coburn Watson
Information Systems Support - Research
Scios, Inc.
cpw_at_slip.net Received on Mon Feb 10 1997 - 00:00:00 CST