Can I create a link to a table in a remote database?

From: Simon Goland <sg_at_mda.ca>
Date: 1997/02/10

I can connect to a remote database using 'sqlplus user/password_at_remote_db_name' and see a table, say TABLE_A. However, there might be some problems with the precompiler and the fact that that remote database is on Alpha, and ours is on Unix (and some other problems that the programmers are having).

Can I create a link (or whatever it is called in the Oracle lingo) in my database here that will point to that remote table TABLE_A in the remote database? And if so, are there any special privileges the program on my end will need to have for that?

Thanks,

--

[ Simon Goland B-)> sg_at_mda.ca ]
[ Without action there is no change ]