Re: varchar2 columns and space question

From: Allen Kirby <akirby_at_att.com>
Date: 1997/02/10

Jim Smith wrote:
<snip>

> The reasoning behind the suggestion to put nullable columns at the end
> of the row is that for null columns in the middle of the row, Oracle
> stores a single byte placeholder, whereas for trailing nulls nothing is
> stored.

I know this was stated for V6 as well but when I actually looked at the data in the blocks, this was NOT the case. The trailing null columns each had the length indicator with value 0, not what I expected. Has anyone verified that this is working in Oracle 7 by actually looking at the data block? Does anyone know why V6 didn't do this?

<snip>

--
---
Allen Kirby			AT&T ITS Production Services