Re: Oracle TNS Listner Error

From: Robert W. Swisshelm <swisshelm_at_lilly.com>
Date: 1997/02/10

claudio wrote:

> I have just installed Oracle 7.3.2 on a Sun system running Solaris 2.5.
>
> When trying to connect to Oracle using SQL*Net from another Sun box,
> the TNS Listener gives the following error:
>
> "ORA-12538. TNS: No such protocol adapter"
>
> What does this error mean? The manuals are not terribly helpful.
> What protocol adapter is it talking about (TCP??)?
> How do I find out if the protocol adapter has been installed?
>
> Any info would be appreciated.
>
> Claud.

It looks like maybe you installed SQL*Net V2, but didn't install the tcp/ip driver ( a common oversight).

To find the version of the various Oracle products installed:

% cd $ORACLE_HOME/orainst
% inspdver

4.0.0.8.0            Oracle Unix Installer and Documentation Viewer
7.3.2.3.0            ORACLE Common Libraries and Utilities
2.3.2.1.0            SQL*Net (V2)
2.3.2.1.0            TCP/IP Protocol Adapter (V2)
1.3.2.0.0            Remote Operations
7.3.2.1.0            SLAX: parser
2.3.2.3.0            PL/SQL V2
7.3.2.3.0            ORACLE7 Distributed Database option
7.3.2.3.0            ORACLE7 Parallel Query option
7.3.2.3.0            Advanced Replication Option
2.3.2.0.0            Oracle Server Manager
7.3.2.3.0            ORACLE7 Server (RDBMS)
1.0.0.0.1            <Database Startup> Load Files
7.3.2.3.0            ORACLE7 XA Library
4.0.0                Oracle Trace
7.3.2.1.0            Precomp
2.2.2.0.0            Pro*C
1.0.2.0.0            Oracle WebServer
3.3.2.0.0            SQL*Plus

Also, you should check your service name entry in your tnsnames.ora file. For a tcp/ip connection, it should look something like this:

tst_04 =
(DESCRIPTION =
 (ADDRESS_LIST =
  (ADDRESS =