Re: Should I replicate indexes?

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/02/07

On Thu, 06 Feb 1997 12:13:56 -0500, JJ Reynolds <jjr_at_healthfare.com> wrote:

>I am setting up an asynchronous symmetric replication environment -- I
>can replicate tables with no problem. However, what is the advantage of
>replicating an index as opposed to just creating the index on both
>machines manually?
>
>TIA
>
>jjr_at_healthfare.com

If you are talking advanced replication, it replicates the definition of the index-- not the index blocks themselves.

The advantage is less maintenance on your part. if you replicate the index definition and decide to drop it or change it later, the software will maintain the replicated definition.

replicate the indexes-- that way, if you add another site later, the index will just be there, you won't have to add it.

The only thing you should have to create manually at other sites would be sequences.

Thomas Kyte
Oracle Government
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com

http://govt.us.oracle.com

statements and opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation Received on Fri Feb 07 1997 - 00:00:00 CST