Re: NFS servers & Oracle

From: Jared Hecker <jared_at_hwai.com>
Date: 1997/02/07

I have also been told this by Oracle support. In my case I was doing an upgrade from an NFS-mounted CDROM drive. It worked on one machine and not on another. I don't know if there is timing issues, link issues, OS version issues or what, but support said "No NFS" and I could not get an explanation.

hth -

Regards,
jh

Martin Smith <mfmsith_at_erols.com> wrote:

>We're shopping for storage for our HP-UX-based Oracle server, and have
>been considering an "NFS server"--a network-attached special-purpose
>RAIDed file server that supports NFS (and maybe SMB or the more recent
>version of that, which I forget the name of just now.)
>
>This seems to be a (fairly) new category, with products from Auspex,
>Network Appliance, Falcon, and Sun (and no doubt more.) The price is
>attractive ($.80 to $2.00 per meg) and we like the idea of being
>host-independent.
>
>HOWEVER, apparently Oracle's official position is that "NFS is not
>supported."
>
>Can anyone comment on this? Is this just over-conservatism by Oracle or
>is there a real problem? Is anyone USING any of these products for
>Oracle or other database storage?
>
>Thanks.

Jared Hecker, CODBA       | Oracle  and Sybase Architect and DBA
jared_at_planet.net          | - consulting in the
76276.740_at_compuserve.com  |   NYC/NJ region