Re: Objects ownership in Oracle !!!

From: Lun Wing San (Oracle) <wslun_at_qrcsun.qrc.org>
Date: 1997/02/07

Nabil Courdy wrote:

> I'd like to know how Oracle manages ownership
> of database objects (tables, views, rules, procedures, etc.).
>
> What is the standard practice? Does the DBA own all
> objects and permissions are granted to users, groups, and
> roles. Or can any user create an object and grant permissions
> to whomever he/she wishes. What is standard practice?

  In general,

  There is an user who owns all objects for an application. However, it does not have create session privilege to ensure no auditing option can be set on it. Thus, it prevents from the allocations of all extents for auditing tables.

  There is a role to have select privileges on the application objects.

  The application users will have create session and execute procedure privileges only.

  Any privilege and role grantings are done by the schema owner rather than DBA to ease of maintenance.

---
Name   : Lun Wing San
Title  : Oracle Application Developer of Hong Kong Productivity Council
         Oracle Database Administrator and System Administrator of QRC
Phone  : (852)27885841

This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you
opened this article and I will not be responsible for its contents or use.