Re: VLDB Backup Solutions

From: Marc <marcm_at_computek.net>
Date: 1997/02/07

Raymond Smith wrote:

> I am beginning a project to evaluate Oracle Backup Tools including the
> tape software and hardware. We will eventually (end of 98) need to
> backup 1-2 TB of data in a 2-3 hour time span. Is there anyone who has
> already done this? Anyone using Spectra Logic? Anyone using
> SQL*Backtrack? Anyone using AXXiON-NetBackup? I would appreciate any and
> all responses.

Currently we support many large client databases. One in particular is using SQL*Backtrack combined with StorageTek tape jukebox and OpenVision backup software to perform a backup of a 200 Gb+ DB in about 4 hours. The total backup time depends on how many tape devices you have defined to the tape jukebox (we use 5 on this DB)and how many archive logs are to be backed up at the physical backup stage (one way to reduce this is to do incremental archive log backups during the day and delete them or move them afterwards). We have had no problems restoring either partial tables or the entire DB after the backups. The restorations are done on a quarterly basis to build the development environments.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to send them to us.

--