Re: Objects ownership in Oracle !!!

From: Atul Ashar <Atul_Ashar_at_ccmail.bms.com>
Date: 1997/02/06

Nabil Courdy wrote:

> I'd like to know how Oracle manages ownership
> of database objects (tables, views, rules, procedures, etc.).
>
> What is the standard practice? Does the DBA own all
> objects and permissions are granted to users, groups, and
> roles. Or can any user create an object and grant permissions
> to whomever he/she wishes. What is standard practice?

I believe in creating Data Admin (DA) schema for each application. There are at least a couple of advantages:

  1. DA can be a different person. Nowadays, with the presence of all windows based graphical tools, application developers are capable of performing some of the application administration task e.g. create objects (tables, view, procedures, etc.), grant permissions, maintain constraints, etc and I believe that's the way to go.
  2. Even if you do not have any capable developer to handle this job, having separate schema for this will make DBA's life easy.