We plan to upgrade o/s on our Oracle Server

From: Dan Bikle <dbikle_at_rahul.net>
Date: 1997/02/05

Hi There,

I'm involved with an effort to upgrade an hp 9000 (T-500) running hp/ux 10.00.

We want to upgrade it to 10.01.

But first...

We need gauge the possible impact on both the Oracle RDBMS (7.1.6.2.0) and Oracle Applications (10.5).

We'd like to know of anything that might not work on the RDBMS or Oracle Applications or requires fixing after the 10.01 upgrade.

As a DBA consultant I can think of 3 ways to deal with this upgrade.

  1. Shutdown the conc mgr and then the dbs. Run cold backup. Do the 10.01 upgrade Startup the dbs. & conc. mgr. Push the system through a rigorous test suite (which is not defined yet).
  2. Shutdown the conc. mgr. and then the dbs. Run cold backup. Do the 10.01 upgrade. Relink every executable under $ORACLE_HOME & $APPL_TOP. Startup the dbs. & conc. mgr. Push the system through a rigorous test suite (which is not defined yet).
  3. Shutdown the conc. mgr. and then the dbs. Run cold backup. Do the 10.01 upgrade. Re-install $ORACLE_HOME off of cdrom. Re-install forms 2.3. Re-install every RDBMS patch we've received from Oracle. Restore redologs, data files, and control files from cold backup. Relink every executable under $APPL_TOP. Startup the dbs. & conc. mgr. Push the system through a rigorous test suite (which is not defined yet).

Option 3 has a couple of interesting variations:

  1. Use IMPORT to fill the database with data rather than a cold restore.
  2. Re-install $APPL_TOP off of cdrom (and then over 100 patches we've received over the last 14 months)

Please let me know if you have an opinion about any of this. If you don't have an opinion, perhaps you have an Oracle joke you can share with us.

I heard this one right after ORCL crashed (in 1991 I believe).

q: what platform does Oracle run best on? a: 35mm slide projector.

-Dan

Daniel B. Bikle/Independent Oracle Consultant dbikle_at_alumni.caltech.edu | 415/941-6276 | P.O. BOX 1401 LOS ALTOS CA 94023 http://www.rahul.net/dbikle