Re: Nicing Down User Oracle Processes -- Any problems?

From: Justin Crooks <justin_at_not.got.one.yet>
Date: 1997/02/05

M. D. Parker wrote:

 blah blah....
> nicing down user oracle processes if they exceed the usage of
> 30 CPU MINUTES. My DBA seems to indicate that that will cause
> problems with Oracle, and that oracle itself does not recommend
> such a procedure but I do not understand the problems here. I am a
> UNIX wizard but not an oracle wizard.
>
> I was curious as to (1) if this is really true, and (2) the downsides
> of such a procedure, (3) does anybody else out there doing such a thing
> for load balancing, (4) reasoning?
>
> Thanks...
>
> Mike

Your DBA is right, nicing down Oracle processes can cause Deadlocks, and Oracle (the company) will not support such a situation (when problems occur). Oracle7 is quite good a detecting deadlock, but only with all processes at the same priority.

If user side processing is very slow, and CPU time is available on the back-end server, move processing to the server by useing Database procedures/packages.

Hope this will be of some help

Justin Received on Wed Feb 05 1997 - 00:00:00 CST