Re: Which database should I learn next (currently oracle dba)

From: Alvin Sylvain <jademare_at_c-square.no.junk>
Date: 1997/02/05

Joel R. Kallman wrote:

> This is not the type of advice you're looking for, but I firmly
> believe, as the book says, "Do what you love, and the money will
> follow".
>
> I think you're putting too much stock into a specific skill with a
> particular database. I, personally, look for a team-player, ability
> to learn and adapt, problem-solving skills, positive attitude,
> efficiency, and responsiblity. Notice, I didn't mention experience
> with any particular database product once.

I would say you're the exception rather than the rule.

My experience as a frequent job-seeker is that they almost =NEVER= ask you about your ability to learn and adapt, problem-solving skills, etc. etc. What they ask is, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE LATELY?

In other words, for the more typical employer, it doesn't matter if the job applicant is Einstein-Squared, what matters is whether he already knows the desired job-specific functions: the database, the OS, the language, etc.

However, they sometimes will take you on as a bright, intelligent, energetic team-player who gladly takes on responsibity, etc. etc., but doesn't quite know the specifics yet; but, at LOWER PAY.

Basically, they want you to hit the ground running. The typical business concern, managed by the typical pointy-haired clueless management, don't hire people until it's time to put out fires. They don't have the luxury of letting a bright person come up to speed ... they'd prefer an idiot who knows where the fire extinguisher is!

> My experience in the Chicagoland area as well as the D.C. Metro area,
> if you are a DBA (especially in Oracle/Informix/Sybase) and have a few
> of the skills/qualities mentioned above, jobs or money should be the
> least of your concerns. IMHO.

I suspect this is true nationwide. Oracle is hugely complex to manage, and anyone who's good at it should have all the job security anyone could ask for!

Oracle claims that, when properly tuned, it is the fastest database system in the world. What they don't tell you is that it takes a $600/hour consultant to tune it properly!