Re: Configuration

From: <abate_at_netgate.comintur.com.uy>
Date: 1997/02/04

In article <01baf372$27d1eb80$2c89099a_at_yqjbhpzo>,   "Raymond" <rmarchan_at_proface.nl> wrote:

> We are bussy to make a dessision for the configuration of our produktion
> machine. We didn't have muts experiance with Unix and Oracle. The problem
> is what for types of configurations are possible for a unix system with a
> oracle dbs for 250 users. We like to known if there is someone who has
> experiance with such configurations.
>
> We intressed in processor disc capacity and more ......
>
> Thanks sofar
>
> Raymond

Well, I work with 2 DEC alphaservers 2100, with 3 processors each (one 190 Mhz's, the other 300 Mhz's), 1 Gb RAM the faster, 512 Mb RAM the slower, digital Unix 3.2d-2, Oracle 7.2.3 with the parallel query option (not really significant for our 3-proc SMP) with a 19 Gb DB

We use the faster one for production only, and the slower for development and application server (i.e. the client forms, reports, etc. execute there but they access the DB located at the faster one). Nevertheless, some time ago all the applications' processes run at the faster one, leaving the slower one just for development, and it worked slower but acceptably.

The application is a typical order entry system, the only difference being that we enter all the salaries of each of my country's people (Uruguay) captured in monthly loads by 150 users in a Novell LAN, but as they open many windows (especially the ones who solve errors by comparing data to the previous months') we usually have more than 200 sessions concurrently open.

We use a 240Mb SGA, multi threaded server (especially for limiting memory usage, not processor), a 100Mbit connection between the two servers and 10Mbit connections from them to the Novell LAN.

When we have performance problems, it almost always comes down to: 1) People are working much harder due to deadlines 2) Some funny soul issued an unoptimized/appropiate_for_the_nights query

Our application absolutely can be optimized to drastical performance gains, which is not done because it is not so necessary and the time invested would be too much. IF you build your application taking into consideration tuning issues you will do much better than us with the same or even smaller configurations.

Hope it helped, may email me.

     Bruno.