Standby Databases

From: JP Soria <jpsoria_at_saxe.com>
Date: 1997/02/03

We have a database of 200GB, the client wants 24 hour access to this database with no down time. The database is read-only, and updates are performed on a weekly basis. How can we provide 24 hour access to a database and not suffer a severe performance loss?

I realize that standby databases are meant for means of backup/recovery, however, are we able to have a standby database that the users are pointed to with the ability to query the database while the other database is being updated? Then upon completion of the update point them back to the original database? I don't see why not.

--
JP Soria
Oracle7 DBA/Software Tester