Re: Parallel Query

From: greg.burris <greg.burris_at_MCI2000.com>
Date: 1997/02/02

Patrick Tan <ptan_at_mindspring.com> wrote in article <32F1609B.4BC1_at_mindspring.com>...
> We recently installed 2nd CPU to HPUX 10.01 server. I configured Oracle
> 7.1.6 for Parallel Query. I tried configuring Parallel Query at instance
> level, table level and query level (using hint). It does not seem like
> it is working. I do not see any speed improvement on query that suppose
> to take advantage of parallel query. I can see ora_p000X processes
> running. I talk to Oracle Support and they said instance level and table
> level parallel query on 7.1.6 is not reliable and they also want me to
> install a patch to fix async I/O in HP. Please help.
>

> Patrick

I assume that your query is doing a full table scan. If not, PQO will not be used. You can HINT to a full scan by SELECT /*+ FULL(A) */ * from table a;

If your query is using full scans, you should see the ora_pxxx processes getting CPU time.

If not, I would suggest pursuing the patches that WWS recommended.

Good luck

--
Gregory A. Burris
Practice Manager, Performance and Architecture Group