Re: We want Oracle for Linux !!!

From: Stephane Lajeunesse <slajeunesse_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: 1997/01/31

Jared Hecker wrote:

> What Oracle _could_ do rather cheaply, if they wanted to, is:
>
> 1. Pick a distribution (Red Hat would be a good choice);
>
> 2. Get the server working (and SQL*Net!)

  This has been done (with SQL*NET) with RedHat 3.0.3, iBCS, and SCO Oracle Workgroup Server

> 3. Post a white paper how-to on Btheir WWW site with caveats that this is
> not and will never be a supported configuration, and decline to sell a
> maintenance contract (i.e., tech support) to anyone setting up such a
> configuration.

  Already a few Linux-ORACLE-mini-HOWTOS out there.

I'm fully aware that the source of all of this is to get a NATIVE version of Oracle for Linux (which would be BETTER than running it under SCO). But in a realistic way, I don't expect this to happen (from echos of people I talked to at Oracle).

Anyways, right now, Oracle does work under Linux but I wouldn't put my payroll on it!

Steph. Received on Fri Jan 31 1997 - 00:00:00 CST