Re: SQL*Net and firewalls

From: Les Carleton <les_at_tracker.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/01/30

Enrico Badella <softstar_at_pol88a.polito.it> wrote:
>I have been told that there are problems getting SQL*Net thru firewalls
>but no reason was given.

Its because SQL*Net can change the port its transmitting over depending on your Oracle installation configuration.

>Since next week I'll be working onto permitting access to my network to
>client/server apps based on SQL*Net I'm looking for suggestions. Or
>should I just consider this info a rumors and do usual packet filtering?

There are a couple of firewalls which support _real_ SQL*Net proxies, I suggest you post to comp.security.firewalls and ask which ones do (Off the top of my head, Firewall-1 and Raptor Eagle support SQL*Net, and Gauntlet supports at least Sybase SQL, there could be others by now, I last looked at this about 2 months ago)

Cheers

...Les...

>Thanks
>eb

| Les Carleton        Firewalling Consultant   /   "The Software Lifeguard"
| These are my views ... not my employer's    /    les_at_tracker.demon.co.uk
|                                            /
        "Open Standards ... Free Software ... Live Free or Fry!"