Re: Lest we forget - a little off base

From: Frank Barbarino <barbarin_at_hawking.westcon.prc.com>
Date: 1997/01/29

Wake up and smell the oracle...

tdrudy_at_ix.netcom.com wrote:

> there are at least three MAIN components which affect the performance of
> any rdbms:
>
> - hardware
> - the operating system
> - the rdbms
>
> These three tradeoff with each other, i.e., you can generally
> enhance hardware and fix a performance problem with the rdbms (though
> that
> may not be the most efficient way to correct the problem), or upgrade
> and
> tweak the OS to correct a hardware or rdbms perf problem (again, may not
> be the best way to do it).
>
> If you're running Oracle on NT or Win95, there are only so many OS
> parms you can tweak, then you either look at the hardware or at the
> rdbms
> for perf enhancements. However, if I had a serious perf prob with
> Oracle,
> I could probably fix it by adding another 4-20 CPUs or a few
> Gigs of RAM: yes, definitely a poor and expensive approach to fix the
> prob, but it COULD probably be done.

well ok.... lets tell a story... way back when I had a database I didnt create that was created with all the oracle defaults... and it run like a piece of dog doo on an HP9000 with 256MB RAM.

Then they asked me to move the database to the other development machine at another office. (which they were nice enough to also create the default database on before I got there.) The development version at the time was about 3GB. The other machine is a SUNSparc2000 with 92GB SparcStorage array and 1GB Ram(no thats not a typo) and 12 processors. And the amount of time the import took... tada... about the same as the HP maybe a tad less...

   And the amount of time some on the more demanding queries took: slightly faster than the HP - but when you consider what kind of hardware power we are talkng about - it was a severe let down...

   Conclusion: You can buy all the hardware in the world to run your database... and it will still run piss poor slow if you dont know what you are doing and you dont do the research to find out what all those 'cute' little parameters do.

> The point is that dba's do not have to be confined to (what I'll
> call) internal-Oracle fixes: consider adjusting the OS or playing with
> the
> hardware, especially if you do development on a regular basis. Often,
> such
> fixes are neither time-consuming nor expensive.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

Tell me Tom oh great one,

   What are these magical fixes that will make my NT machine run oh so much quicker... enlighten me with your wisdom. (No really I want to know - hell wouldnt we all want our NT machines to run faster??)

                   Frank

btw - if the operations that are slowing your database down are mostly i/o related - I recomend getting a nice SCSI drive - (and heres the important part) and dont skimp on the controller - get a nice one with a large buffer/memory size and good specs. It will do you alot more good than the extra memory(assuming you are a a respectable level now (I assume if running NT 32MB is a minimum level of respectability)) Received on Wed Jan 29 1997 - 00:00:00 CST