Re: $ORACLE_HOME/bin/osh - what is it?

From: oracle <oracle_at_nightmare.com>
Date: 1997/01/29

David J DeWolfe wrote:

> ORA-01116: error in opening database file 1
> ORA-01110: data file 1: '/u01/ORACLE/FINP/data/syst01FINP.dbf'
> ORA-07209: sfofi: file size limit was exceeded.
>
> Which indicate that the datafile that is the system tablespace could
> not be opened. Again, the database was up and open and has over 200
> users using a forms application when these errors have been
> encountered. The lastest "suggestion" from support has been to run
> $ORACLE_HOME/osh. When I asked for documentation for osh I was informed
> that there was none, and I could not get spcecific info as to exactly
> what osh would do, and how I would undo what it would do if it caused
> problems. Does anyone here know what osh is and does? All I was told
> was that it increase the file size limit. That's it. We've already
> looked at ulimits etc (ie, ulimit -f) etc. And, I would think that if I
> did have a problem with my system tablespace datafile, the database
> would have complained upon startup/open. Anyway, any thoughts in
> regards to any of this would be most welcome, and any info on "osh"
> would be great.
>
> TIA

"osh" is oracles own proprietary shell. It is based on the bourne shell but it has a ulimit of unlimited. Your problem sounds like a ulimit problem. What is it set at for the "oracle" user? You need to total all amount of all the open files that oracle is opening and see if that exceeds your ulimit value. Oracle recomends an unlimited value but most operating systems default to 1 or 2 gigs.

I would call DEC and ask them how to max it out as it seems that would solve the problem. You could start up the database from within an osh shell and see if the problem goes away. If it does not, then you know that was not your problem but if the problem is gone you can be reasonably sure it is the ulimit. Running the shell is safe. Received on Wed Jan 29 1997 - 00:00:00 CST