$ORACLE_HOME/bin/osh - what is it?

From: David J DeWolfe <sxdjd_at_orca.alaska.edu>
Date: 1997/01/29

Greetings all;

As of a few days ago some of my users have been reporting the following error when using character mode reports 2.5 (r25run) on our Digital Unix host with release 7.2.3 Oracle databases and release 1.0.2 of Developer 2000:

	REP-501:   Unable to connect to specified database
	ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1

This with the database up and over 200 connections via forms 4.5 character mode. I called this in to Oracle support who had me set an event in the init.ora which yeiled the following messages:

	ORA-01116: error in opening database file 1
	ORA-01110: data file 1: '/u01/ORACLE/FINP/data/syst01FINP.dbf'
	ORA-07209: sfofi: file size limit was exceeded.

Which indicate that the datafile that is the system tablespace could not be opened. Again, the database was up and open and has over 200 users using a forms application when these errors have been encountered. The lastest "suggestion" from support has been to run $ORACLE_HOME/osh. When I asked for documentation for osh I was informed that there was none, and I could not get spcecific info as to exactly what osh would do, and how I would undo what it would do if it caused problems. Does anyone here know what osh is and does? All I was told was that it increase the file size limit. That's it. We've already looked at ulimits etc (ie, ulimit -f) etc. And, I would think that if I did have a problem with my system tablespace datafile, the database would have complained upon startup/open. Anyway, any thoughts in regards to any of this would be most welcome, and any info on "osh" would be great.

TIA

--

David J. DeWolfe
Systems Programmer