Re: MOVE DATAFILE SCO UNIX possible ?

From: smp <no email>
Date: 1997/01/29

>==========DBFritts, 28/01/97==========
>
>Steve <tvaresh_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
><01bc0cd0$a7b1a7a0$529f20cc_at_sdm>:
>
>> You can change the location of the datafile by re-creating the
>>controlfile. After connecting internal, type "alter database backup
>>controlfile to trace". Exit and cd to the trace directory. Your latest
>>trace file will be a script that you can run to re-create the
 controlfiles.
>> Shutdown and backup the database, move the datafile to the new location,
>>modify the trace file/script so that the entry regarding the datafile
>>reflects the new path, then connect internal and start the modified trace
>>file. This will recreate your controlfiles, modifying the path to the
 moved
>>datafile. Backups before AND AFTER are important.
>>

>I have done this, and it works. However, I have also tried (but not on a
>permanent basis) to use a symbolic link to re-locate a file. I shut down
>the database, move the file to the new place, create a link from the
>original location to the new file, and re-start the database. It seems to
>work, but I've never heard of anyone else doing it, and I don't know if it
>can be trusted over the long haul. Does anyone else know whether this is
>a good thing to do? It is an easy way to move files.
>
>David

We shutdown the database, move the datafile

'startup mount' the database then issue the command

alter database rename file '/fullpathname/x' to file '/fullpathname/y' alter database open

This has worked for us many times (we used to use symbolic links until we found this command)
Sally Pearce
Financials DBA(for my sins) Received on Wed Jan 29 1997 - 00:00:00 CST