Re: ANALYZE and ESTIMATE vs. COMPUTE

From: Tad Davis <davist_at_umis.upenn.edu>
Date: 1997/01/29

tdrudy_at_ix.netcom.com wrote:

: I'm familiar with 7.2 and 7.3, but not 7.1 However, if you have a
: powerful enough server with enough and fast-enough CPUs and RAM, ...

(There's no such thing.)

: ... you may
: want
: to try COMPUTE first before playing with the ESTIMATE percentages. I
: suspect
: you may do the trial-and-error method to arrive at a satisfactory
: balance between speed and validity.

That does seem to be the way we're going. We don't have enough hours in the night to do a COMPUTE (or even a 20% ESTIMATE) on some of our larger tables. I'm putting most of them in at 20% and then lowering as needed.

--
Tad Davis                  215-898-7864 voice
(davist_at_isc.upenn.edu)     215-898-0386 fax