Re: MOVE DATAFILE SCO UNIX possible ?

From: DBFritts <dbfritts_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/01/28

Steve <tvaresh_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote in article <01bc0cd0$a7b1a7a0$529f20cc_at_sdm>:

> You can change the location of the datafile by re-creating the
>controlfile. After connecting internal, type "alter database backup
>controlfile to trace". Exit and cd to the trace directory. Your latest
>trace file will be a script that you can run to re-create the
 controlfiles.
> Shutdown and backup the database, move the datafile to the new location,
>modify the trace file/script so that the entry regarding the datafile
>reflects the new path, then connect internal and start the modified trace
>file. This will recreate your controlfiles, modifying the path to the
 moved
>datafile. Backups before AND AFTER are important.

I have done this, and it works. However, I have also tried (but not on a permanent basis) to use a symbolic link to re-locate a file. I shut down the database, move the file to the new place, create a link from the original location to the new file, and re-start the database. It seems to work, but I've never heard of anyone else doing it, and I don't know if it can be trusted over the long haul. Does anyone else know whether this is a good thing to do? It is an easy way to move files.

David