Re: Password protecting Internal

From: oracle <oracle_at_nightmare.com>
Date: 1997/01/27

Steve Holdoway wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jan 1997 00:06:30 -0500, oracle <oracle_at_nightmare.com>
> wrote:
>
> >R. Wayne Linton wrote:

 [snipped]
> >> Carl, have a look at the ORAPWD utility. This creates a password file
> >> for internal and sys (and other userids as you see fit). You can have
> >> one for each instance or you can share this one password file across
> >> several instances. You create this file via the ORAPWD utility. In vms
> >> you set up an executive level logical for it so the system can find it; I
> >> don't know about AIX.

 [snipped]
> >You need to use a sql*net connection for this to work. If the user is
> >logged "dba" group and not using TWO_TASK to connect it still will not
> >prompt for the internal password even if you use orapwd.
>
> I thought that if you set REMOTE_OS_AUTHENT to true in init.ora, then
> the above is not true. Mind you, I haven't checked!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Steve

Steve,

Here let me test that...

This is not true. I just set up a password file using orapwd with the following parameters set in my init<sid>.ora I was able to connect internal and start up the database. If I set TWO_TASK to any alias it would then prompt me for the password.

REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE=EXCLUSIVE
#job_queue_processes = 2
#job_queue_interval = 60
remote_os_authent = true
remote_os_roles = true

If I understand how it works correctly the bequeath adapter never checks for the password file because it is understood that you are on the server and have been already authorized by the OS since you are in the "dba" group. Received on Mon Jan 27 1997 - 00:00:00 CST