Re: Laptop Computer & Oracle7.3

From: Lee Fontaine <roadkill_at_pantheon.cis.yale.edu>
Date: 1997/01/26

We're using DEC HiNotes some running Win95 others running WinNT. It's my understanding that Windows NT power management on a laptop is virtually non-existent. This is the case on our DECs.

I didn't do the configuration work on the systems and only heard from a couple of the users, but before we downloaded a power management patch the battery would be dead in 30 minutes or less. DEC apparently has a patch for the power management resources that helps but I've been told that it's still flakey. For us, it's not a major concern as our users typically need only to work in multiple offices but not while they're riding the train or at the beach. With that said, as long as you can use an external power source, Windows NT seems to run just fine on the DEC laptops.

Lee Fontaine
Client Server Application Support
Administrative Systems Development Group Yale University