Re: Size of datafiles - performance impact?

From: Mark Rosenbaum <mjr_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1997/01/26

In article <01bc0b69$cc963940$02fefedf_at_leslie.nimmo.com>, Tim Nimmo <nimmo_at_primenet.com> wrote:
>Andy Hardy <aph_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk> wrote in article
><mDnNUAAV4j6yEwVV_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk>...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've a 10Gb database in which each datafile is approx 1.5Gb (Solaris 2.4
>> system, Oracle 7.1.6).
>>
>> As we're running on a Sun HA-Cluster with a RAID Array 'optimised' for
>> enquiry, I assume that the datafiles are being nicely striped across all
>> available disks and that I don't need to consider the actual position of
>> the datafiles.
>>
>> However, does the size of my datafiles have an impact on Oracle itself
>> e.g. can it handle many-smaller datafiles easier than fewer-larger ones?
>>
>> Just an idle thought,
>>
>> Andy
>> P.S Please email replies, as well as posting to this group - my ISP
>> seems to be missing some news.
>> Andy Hardy (Internet: aph_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk, CIS: 100015,2603)
>> PGP key available on request
>> Life is a game of bridge - and you've just been finessed.
>>

>This brings to mind the saying "It's not the size that counts, but how you
>use it". <g>
>
>Size isn't a factor on performance, but analyzing the types of typical
>queries issued against the database and allocating Oracle resources
>properly will make all the difference in the world.
>
>Tim Nimmo...

Some time ago I remember reading in the install guide for 7.2 (maybe), on an SGI (maybe) that files of less than 500 MB were recomended. No reason was give.

Hope this helps

Mark Rosenbaum			Otey-Rosenbaum & Frazier, Inc.
mjr_at_netcom.com			Consultants in High Performance and
(303) 727-7956			Scalable Computing and Applications
POB 1397			ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/mj/mjr/resume/
Boulder CO 80306 Received on Sun Jan 26 1997 - 00:00:00 CST