Re: Size of datafiles - performance impact?

From: <tdrudy_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1997/01/26

Tim Nimmo wrote:

> Andy Hardy <aph_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk> wrote in article
> <mDnNUAAV4j6yEwVV_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk>...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've a 10Gb database in which each datafile is approx 1.5Gb (Solaris 2.4
> > system, Oracle 7.1.6).
> >
> > As we're running on a Sun HA-Cluster with a RAID Array 'optimised' for
> > enquiry, I assume that the datafiles are being nicely striped across all
> > available disks and that I don't need to consider the actual position of
> > the datafiles.
> >
> > However, does the size of my datafiles have an impact on Oracle itself
> > e.g. can it handle many-smaller datafiles easier than fewer-larger ones?
> >
> > Just an idle thought,
> >
> > Andy
> > P.S Please email replies, as well as posting to this group - my ISP
> > seems to be missing some news.
> > Andy Hardy (Internet: aph_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk, CIS: 100015,2603)
> > PGP key available on request
> > Life is a game of bridge - and you've just been finessed.
> >

> This brings to mind the saying "It's not the size that counts, but how you
> use it". <g>
>
> Size isn't a factor on performance, but analyzing the types of typical
> queries issued against the database and allocating Oracle resources
> properly will make all the difference in the world.
>
> Tim Nimmo...

Tim

Respectfully, size is always a factor when considering performance, but I'm a bit too lazy today to enumerate fully. When doing CRUD, would you think that any rdbms will do any CRUD function as fast on a 5 column, 5 row, fixed length rdbms as it would on a 100 col, 1,000,000 row, varchar2 rdbms? You can optimize performance if you buy more CPUs and more RAM and optimize the underlying OS' kernel (assuming a UNIX system), and of course in many other ways.

I agree that the size/number of CRUD activities would also make a significant difference.

                Tom Received on Sun Jan 26 1997 - 00:00:00 CST