Re: Concurrency question.

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1997/01/26

The concurrency controls are across sessions, not users. The 100 logons will be treated as separate sessions even tho they are the same users. It would be the same result if you have 100 different logons, each loggin on once or the same logon logging on 100 times.

One word if you are doing lots of inserts into the same table, "FREE LISTS" (ok, thats really 2 words but one parameter). You will want "FREE LISTS" to be more then 1 or 2 on the tables and indexes you are hitting hard. If you are building a 'live feed' type of application, it will critical for you to tune this parm.

On Sat, 25 Jan 1997 22:36:17 +0000, Bryan Dollery <Bryan_at_Bryan.ftech.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am writting an app that will log into oracle upto 100 times
>concurrently using the same username/password/instance. If all of these
>instances were to attempt to write to the same table simultaneously will
>Oracle handle it.
>
>(The app is running on a multi-processor machine, so the concurrency is
>real.)
>
>I know that Oracle provides row level locking, but I wouldn't be
>accessing the same row concurrently. I am not shure anyway if this
>locking occurs between different users, rather than the same user
>multiple times.
>
>Any guidance would be appreciated greatly.
>
>Thanx.
>
>Bryan
>--
>Bryan Dollery BSc(Hons)
>ByteSmart Systems Ltd.

Thomas Kyte
Oracle Government
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com

http://govt.us.oracle.com

statements and opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation Received on Sun Jan 26 1997 - 00:00:00 CST