Size of datafiles - performance impact?

From: Andy Hardy <aph_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/01/25

Hi,

I've a 10Gb database in which each datafile is approx 1.5Gb (Solaris 2.4 system, Oracle 7.1.6).

As we're running on a Sun HA-Cluster with a RAID Array 'optimised' for enquiry, I assume that the datafiles are being nicely striped across all available disks and that I don't need to consider the actual position of the datafiles.

However, does the size of my datafiles have an impact on Oracle itself e.g. can it handle many-smaller datafiles easier than fewer-larger ones?

Just an idle thought,

Andy
P.S Please email replies, as well as posting to this group - my ISP seems to be missing some news.
Andy Hardy (Internet: aph_at_ahardy.demon.co.uk, CIS: 100015,2603) PGP key available on request

Life is a game of bridge - and you've just been finessed. Received on Sat Jan 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CST