Re: Oracle Running Under Alpha Boxes

From: Andy Parker <andyp_at_netcomuk.co.uk>
Date: 1997/01/25

On 20 Jan 1997 17:44:06 GMT, LLJSYS_at_RIT.EDU (Laura Jacobs O'Donnell) wrote:

>We are currently running Oracle Workgroup Server 7.2 on a Windows NT
>3.51 Alpha box. We are primarily using this box to understand Oracle.
>In the near future, we will be putting on an actual production system
>on this box. We are wondering if we should keep Oracle running on
>Alpha Windows NT or convert the box to DEC Unix and run Oracle on that
>platform. We will be having approximately 10 concurrent users on this
>system. The data base would be extremely small in size.
>
>In the past, it seems that a larger number of Alpha Oracle Users ran
>under Unix. Is this still true? Has this changed? Also, Oracle Technical
>Support did not seem to be up to date regarding the Alpha platform. This
>is a decision that we will need to live with for a long time!
>
>All comments and experiences will be appreciated!!

We have run Oracle on HP Unix, Vax VMS and Alpha VMS and the Oracle stuff all looks remarkably alike - indeed we ported in the order listed. I would say go with whichever OS you know best, especially if you are going to run client server - SQLNet can get a bit wierd especially on Decnet.

--
Andy Parker, Team Leader, Information Systems, Furness College
Home:- andyp_at_netcomuk.co.uk