Re: UTL_FILE Package

From: AlexJent <alexjent_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/01/25

Your Said:

All the files that are written using this function are created under oracle
ownership.
Is there any way to change the file ownership automatically to the user who
activates the function each time the file is created?

We have been struggling with this package also....

Unfortunatley, the answer appears to be NO. The utility is run by the Oracle shadow process and therefore file created are owned by Oracle. Even more distressing in a production environment is that Oracle recommends that users/developers only have read access to the UTL_FILE directories. What this means is that you cannot even clean up your own garbage.... It can only can be done by a privledged user! BUMMER!

One cannot even delete the file that one created.....

We (developers) need a method to clean up our own trash without stressing out our DBA's and system admin types to make serious use of this package in a production environment.....ARE YOU LISTENING ORACLE????

Alex Jentilucci - Consultant
Information System Dynamics, Inc
Minneapolis, MN 55323
Tele: 612-476-7395 FAX: 612-473-5954 E-Mail: infosys_at_aol.com

E-Mail Work: jentilucci_at_notes.seagate.com

          Home: AlexJent_at_aol.com Received on Sat Jan 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CST