Re: Index tablespace reorg

From: Allen Kirby <akirby_at_att.com>
Date: 1997/01/24

Unknown wrote:

> Greetings all -

> Anyway, my problem is that the related data files are in various other
> tablespaces and are not in need of reorganization. Is there an
> easy way to generate the needed CREATE INDEX statements to recreate
> the indexes after I drop/recreate the tablespace ? I am unaware of any way
> to just export the index segments in that tablespace and re-import
> them to the new tablespace.
>
> The only way I can think of doing this is via the DBA_IND_COLUMNS
> and DBA_INDEX views and creating some SQL commands from that.
> Am I totally confused ?
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>
> Brett Cunningham
> zgeist_at_ee.net

Brett,

	You're not confused, but I do think you have a serious problem.
	If you have indexes on your system but you don't have the
	scripts that were used to originally create them, what are you
	going to do if you have to recreate the database from scratch?
	Import only works if you want the exact same schema with the
	same storage, etc.  I would suggest going back and creating
	scripts to re-create every object you have.  You can probably
	get creative and select it out of the data dictionary.  Then
	you won't have this problem the next time.  BTW, if you don't
	have scripts for this index, how did you test it to make sure
	it worked before you put it on the live system?

	OK,OK.  I'm off the soapbox.
--
---
Allen Kirby			AT&T ITS Production Services