Re: Cold backup using dd

From: diversif <diversif_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1997/01/24

I have limited experience with dd (and none with raw devices), but I took over resp. for a database that was beign backed up with dd. Thank God I tested the recovery precedure. It did not work. I was told that you should only use dd if backing up raw partitions and the database that I was backing up was not on raw partitions.

Running on AIX, I have found the AIX backup command just as fast and has good error handling, also handles many mount points. Have to be at 4.x of AIX. The earlier versions of backup did not replace the free space in a data file. i.e. datafile is created at 100m and only is 50% used. If backed up using earlier backup, then restored using AIX restore, you would end up with a 50m data file and Oracle Chokes.

The backup Command I use is:

    find /oradata1 /oradata2 /oradata3 -print | backup -qivf /dev/rmt0 to back up the 3 mountpoints - /oradata1 ../oradata3

JP Soria <jpsoria_at_saxe.com> wrote in article <32E78ADA.4752_at_saxe.com>...