Re: Oracle tuning on Windows NT

From: Pawel Pietrusinski <pp_at_vic.ciop.waw.pl>
Date: 1997/01/24

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997 14:24:35 -0500, "Brian M. Biggs" <bbiggs_at_cincom.com> wrote:

>All,

>Now my real question: we are running a 16-bit Visual Basic 3.0
>application (through ODBC) against Oracle Workgroup Server 7.3.2.2.1 on
>a Windows NT 4.0 machine (dual Intel P166 CPUs). Performance is pretty
>bad with more than a single user, and even a single user operation takes
>about 1 minute. The particular operation is doing about 95% inserts.
>
>I've done all of the typical tuning exercises that I could think of with
>Oracle in general, but I haven't found anything that really stands out
>as a problem. The CPUs are not being stressed at all, the hit ratio is
>steady around 93%, disk activity is non-existent, no disk sorts. The
>particular operation is doing 95% inserts.

Hi,

I am experencing exactly the same problem on my NT Workstation 4.0 and Oracle Workgroup Server 7.1. on a 166MHz Penitum with 64MB RAM.

I created a table containing three simple columns varchar(20), varchar(30), integer

I generated 16000 records and I run the query update x1 set fint = 30; (the integer field is getting updated)

The update takes roughly 1min 20s. which is far too long for us.

I've checked all parameters, sga size, block buffers, read aheads, ... everthing seems to be perfect, practically no reloads, from time to time a small burst of disk activity, and yes I did use performance monitor only to discover that the system most of the time sits idle! CPU is hardly occupied (under 20%), disk queues are empty, disk transfers average 20/s - well below the maximum (this holds even while performance monitor is running, and storing data into its log files - total of 2MB - which doesn't impact the query execution time (?)). seems like the processor's got nothing better to do than just sit and wait - for what?

What's more I discovered there are some problems with performance monitor itself. After gathering some data on Oracle threads, I displayed them in the chart window, to get better visual comparison I adjusted the ratio from 1.0 to 0.1 and - can you believe it ! - the parameters value went from 25 to 0, so I changed the scale to 10 this time - same story - zero activity through entire run.

I don't know what's going on here, can someone explain?

PS. I have all the abovementioned logs on my disk. So if anybody cares to look at them I'll gladly mail them to them.

Regards,
Pawel Received on Fri Jan 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CST