Re: Q on concepts of instances and mutliple databases on the same server

From: Komix Hui <huikomix_at_dt.com.hk>
Date: 1997/01/23

Simon Goland wrote:

> Something I am confused about. I have a running database and all is
> well. However, I need to demonstrate the various recovery procedures to
> our customer, and for that I will create another, dummy database to play
> with. It will reside on the same machine.
>
> So right now I have a Oracle instance running the "real" database. Can I
> have another instance running my "dummy" on the same machine at the same
> time, with its own datafiles, tablespaces and stuff, or do I have to
> shutdown the "real" thing and then create and configure and play with
> the "dummy"? And shut the real one down every time I need to play with
> the dummy?

You can create another database on the same machine (unix experience). Before you create the second database on a unix system, you may set some OS Parameters to higher values, such as:

  shared memory, semaphore;

besides, you may want to increase the swap size and add more RAM for a reasonable
performance.

--
Hui, Kwok Miu (Xu, Guo Miao)         E-Mail: huikomix_at_dt.com.hk
Assistant MIS Manager                Tel   : (00852)2589 3369