Re: Good P&T book

From: John Hough <q6y_at_ornl.gov>
Date: 1997/01/23

Brenda Muller wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone recommend for me a really good Oracle &.3 (or 7.x)
> Performance Tuning book?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Brenda S. Muller
> Sr. Consultant, Miaco Corporation / U S West

Brenda:

I can strongly reccomend the Oracle Press book "Tuning Oracle" as a new Oracle dba I spent much time snuggled between its pages. The book was written by Michael Corey, Michael Abbey, and Daniel J. Dechichio, Jr. I have also gotten my moneys worth from the O'Reilly Press book called "Oracle Performance Tuning" written by Peter Corrigan and Mark Gurry make sure you get the 7.3 version of this book as it is a new (a couple of months) release.

The above two books are geared more toward database tuning. A new book that I just received, but have only had the time to scan is called "Advanced Oracle Tuning and Administration", It also is a Oracle Press book and is written by Aronoff, Loney, and Sonawalla. It appears to lean toward query tuning.

Of course Oracle has many white papers and manuals that discuss performance tuning, and there is allways the manuals. Additionally many SW Tools vendors have web pages that will discuss performance tuning, and in some cases provide public domain scripts to assist in performance tuning.

Hope this helps,

John HOugh Received on Thu Jan 23 1997 - 00:00:00 CST