Re: SQL server versus Oracle

From: auparkr <R.Park_at_swan.ac.uk>
Date: 1997/01/23

In article <32e62078.13080859_at_news.sn.no>, runel_at_sn.no (Rune Lysbakken) says:

>Is the platform for the RDBMS server in both cases (Oracle and sql
>server) Windows NT?
>What is the size of the database, do you have blobs(e.g
>pictures,documents of variable size) in the database?
>Regards Rune

Rune,

We are more tempted to go for Oracle Unix or SQL server NT. The size of the database is relatively small - say 200 tables. Our current C-ISAM structure is approx. 4Gb but my Ingres experience tells me that moving to a RDBMS this will increase by 3 fold? with logging and checkpoints etc. We do not currently hold blobs etc. but we may need this facility later.

Thanks in advance

Rob Received on Thu Jan 23 1997 - 00:00:00 CST