Re: URGENT: more extents needed!

From: Simon <jb85_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: 1997/01/23

John Duska <duska_at_srfs.pitt.edu> wrote:

>I know this is a basic question, but the database is complaining that it
>can't allocate extents while a user trys to update. How do I do this?
>I am using Oracle 6 for Netware, and we need more extents asap!
>Thanks!

What is the blocksize of your database? How many extents are currently allocated?

On Unix systems, for example, if you have a 2K blocksize, you can only ever allocate 121 extents to a segment - this is a physical maximum, and you *cannot* increase it, short of dropping the database and re-creating it with a larger blocksize. The maximum number of extents increases as the blocksize increases.

If your segment has not hit the physical maximum number of extents, then maybe the tablespace that segment is in has not got enough physical space for the size of the new extent in the datafiles, in which case, all you have to do is add a new datafile.

Or, it maybe that your segment was specified with a lower MAXEXTENTS than the physical maximum I mentioned earlier, and it has hit that limit, in which case you can just ALTER the segment to use a new MAXEXTENTS value.

Hope that helps,

                Simon

--
Simon Holt --  System Designer/DBA
** My opinions are not nescessarily those of my employers **