Re: URGENT: more extents needed!

From: Casey Husar <chusar_at_empirical.com>
Date: 1997/01/23

John Duska wrote:

> I know this is a basic question, but the database is complaining that it
> can't allocate extents while a user trys to update. How do I do this?
> I am using Oracle 6 for Netware, and we need more extents asap!
> Thanks!
> john
> John M. Duska | Senior Systems Analyst
> mailto:duska_at_srfs.pitt.edu | Information Resources
> http://www.pitt.edu/~pauj4m | University of Pittsburgh

If it is saying it can't allocate the next extent, then you are out of room in the tablespace and need to add another datafile to the tablespace. If it is saying max extents reached, then if you cannot alter table and increase the max extents because you have reached the system maximums (differs for each OS), then you will need to export the table, drop it and import it back. This will set the initial extent to the current size of the table.

In the future, keep an eye on the growth of the extents to make sure your tables are sized appropriately. You can use the script below to see the number of extents for a TABLE, INDEX or ROLLBACK. Must be run with DBA privileges.

column Segment_Name format A40

 select Segment_Name, Extents, Blocks
 from sys.DBA_SEGMENTS
 where Segment_Type = '&segment_type'
 and owner = '&table_owner'
 order by Segment_Name;

Casey Husar Received on Thu Jan 23 1997 - 00:00:00 CST