Re: RAID Level 5 and RedoLog-Files

From: Michael Yakus <yakus_at_interaccess.com>
Date: 1997/01/23

"Helmut Hahn" <hhahn_at_tmt.de> wrote:

>We plan to set up an Database for a universal research center on NT4.0 with
>RAID 5.

>The question is how such a RAID should be configuered. Must RedoLogFiles be
>holded twice or more, or is it sure enough to reley on the RAID system and
>setting up only one.

>Or should the RAID be configuered to act like two seperate devices and set
>up two LogFiles and having the chance to divide up the Tablespaces on these
>devices for performance issues?

Since RAID-5 suffers a large write performance hit, it would probably be better to implement Oracle mirrored redo logs to ordinary disks than to use RAID-5 disks since these are updated so frequently.

Mike

| Michael C. Yakus      | All opinions expressed or implied  |
| Oracle7 Certified DBA | on this account are my own and not |
| GTE Airfone, Inc.     | necessarily those of my employer.  |