SQL server versus Oracle

From: auparkr <R.Park_at_swan.ac.uk>
Date: 1997/01/22

Dear All,

Help required!!

I am currently evaluating transferring our current Finance system - Unix, RS6000, C-ISAM structure onto an RDBMS. Although we have Ingres experience we have decided to move to either Oracle or SQL server. This is where I would appreciate any comments from fellow systems people.

It is anticipated that the financial package will be fronted by Uniface 6.0 with a concurrent user base of approximately 50. This will sit on a Dec Alpha running NT.

I am particularly interested with thoughts on SQL server performance / tuning, scalability, ease of use, upgrades, robustness, security, support and any pitfalls to avoid etc.

Also, if you have any experience of Oracle RDBMS as a direct comparison against SQL server, I would very much appreciate your comments.

If there is anything that you could add to the above I will be extremely grateful.

Thanks for your help in advance

Rob Received on Wed Jan 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CST