Re: URGENT: more extents needed!

From: John Hough <q6y_at_ornl.gov>
Date: 1997/01/22

John Duska wrote:

> I know this is a basic question, but the database is complaining that it
> can't allocate extents while a user trys to update. How do I do this?
> I am using Oracle 6 for Netware, and we need more extents asap!
> Thanks!
> john
> John M. Duska | Senior Systems Analyst
> mailto:duska_at_srfs.pitt.edu | Information Resources
> http://www.pitt.edu/~pauj4m | University of Pittsburgh
John

What is the exact error message you are getting in your alert file. I am not familiar with version 6, but I expect you have one of two problems:

  1. You have run out of space in the tablespace that you are updateing records in and it is unable to allocate a new extent due to a lack of space. The solution for this problem will be to add a datafile to the tablespace.
  2. You have reached the maximum number of extents allowed for a object within your version of the DBMS. Their are two possible solutions to this problem.
  3. alter the maxextents parameter on either the tablespace of the object (table,index)
  4. if you have already reached the maxextent you will need to export the object setting compress=y. Drop the object and re-import it. Check your manuals to make sure I haven't left out any steps.

John Hough
423-574-1508 Received on Wed Jan 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CST