Re: Inserts and row chaining

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_dvol.com>
Date: 1997/01/21

"Lun Wing San (Oracle)" <wslun_at_qrcsun.qrc.org> wrote:

> The rows can be inserted into the data blocks provided that they are in the freelist.
>The block can put in the freelist provided that the space usage fell below PCTUSED. As a
>result, the rows cannot be inserted even though the space usage does not reach PCTFREE.

I think the question is something like this...

If a block is already on the freelist (i.e. it fell below pctused but hasn't reached pctfree yet), and there's only 50 bytes remaining until it hits pctfree, and you have a 100 byte row, can it be inserted into that block?

Please corrent me if I'm wrong but I think the answer is no. Only an update can cause a chaned row.

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_dvol.com

This message delivered by electronic sled dogs. WOOF!