Re: Oracle Running Under Alpha Boxes

From: Rainer Hoerbe <rhoerbe_at_netpromote.co.at>
Date: 1997/01/21

On 20 Jan 1997 17:44:06 GMT, LLJSYS_at_RIT.EDU (Laura Jacobs O'Donnell) wrote:

>We are currently running Oracle Workgroup Server 7.2 on a Windows NT
>3.51 Alpha box. We are primarily using this box to understand Oracle.
>In the near future, we will be putting on an actual production system
>on this box. We are wondering if we should keep Oracle running on
>Alpha Windows NT or convert the box to DEC Unix and run Oracle on that
>platform. We will be having approximately 10 concurrent users on this
>system. The data base would be extremely small in size.
>
>In the past, it seems that a larger number of Alpha Oracle Users ran
>under Unix. Is this still true? Has this changed? Also, Oracle Technical
>Support did not seem to be up to date regarding the Alpha platform. This
>is a decision that we will need to live with for a long time!
>
>All comments and experiences will be appreciated!!
>
>I can be reached at LLJSYS_at_RIT.EDU or (716) 475-2973.

I have only experience with Oracle Alpha/Unix (Dual 220 MHz) versus Oracle Intel/NT (Dual PPro 180 Mhz). The difference is an order of magnitue in favour of the Unix box.

But besides raw performance, just consider how you are going to manage the box remotly, control everything with scripts, and have most things you need alredy in the base package ..

Rainer
rhoerbe_at_netpromote.co.at Received on Tue Jan 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CST