Re: ? changing to we8dec character set problems

From: Jacob Steen Due <jcd_at_ramboll.dk>
Date: 1997/01/20

david flinn/jennifer opp wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Oracle 7.2.3 server running as US7ASCII. I received
> an export file in WE8DEC. When I load it, the server "corrupts"
> the german characters to jibberish.
>
> When I change NLS_LANG in the init.ora to dutch danish, it does'nt
> matter.
>
> Can I leave the server running US7ASCII, drop the old database,
> create a new one as WE8DEC, load the data, and have things work?
>
> Do I need to reinstall the whole thing from scratch ?
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Please respond to : dflinn_at_kpmg.com
>
> Thanks !
>
> david

Well check out the manuals for a precise explanationm but the basic theme is:

Databases created with 8-bit (e.g we8dec) charsets can import most other 8-bit
charsets correctly (but some letters could/will be garbled because they do not
exist in the destination charset). There should be no problem importing 7-bit
exports.

The translation from import to database charset is controlled ny the NLS_LANG
parameter.

Databases created with 7-bit charsets will allwasy garble 8-bit imports (or at
least the chars not found in 7-bit).

There is no way to chenge the charset of a running database from 7 to 8 bit.
This requires a receation of the database.

regards

Jacob

Jacob Steen Due						   email: jcd_at_ramboll.dk
Oracle DBA and application developer                         web:
www.ramboll.dk
RAMBOLL
Teknikerbyen 19
DK-2830 Denmark Received on Mon Jan 20 1997 - 00:00:00 CST