? sqlplus and iso 8bit characters

From: david flinn/jennifer opp <flopp_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1997/01/18

Hi,

I've finally insured that my 8bit european data is correctly loaded into my server. But when I use sqlplus to make a query, it butchers the data. For instance, a german umlaut is munged to be a question mark. I check the data, and it is octal \131, but sqlplus can't map it correctly. It seems that no matter what I tell my unix shell to do, sqlplus seems to only print out 7 bit representations.

Is there any way to correctly retreive my 8bit characters so I can slap them into an HTML page correctly?

Oracle 7.2.3
Solaris 2.5
Perl 5.0
Netscape fasttrack

Thanks for any suggestions.

david Received on Sat Jan 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CST