Re: We want Oracle for Linux !!!

From: Atif Ahmad Khan <aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: 1997/01/18

Dirk Vleugels <vleugels_at_do.isst.fhg.de> writes:

>Hm, being a happy Linux user myself (SparcLinux that is) i'm still
>impressed how some parts of the linux user community still makes
>idiots out of them self. I never thought that it would be possible
>that any Unix OS (we remember the Amiga/Atari, do we?) would get followers
>like a soccer team: (unwanted) hooligans.

:) I agree. But I am very frustrated at Oracle supporters supporting their claims using all the wrong arguments. BTW: I have been an Amiga user in my past life :) Infact I still have an A1000 that I keeping just to remind me of the good old days.

>The reasons for oracle not to maintain a Linux port are pretty
>obvious. There is simply no way to tell which combination of kernel /
>libc / modules/ init / binutils is available.

Hmm... Again this is not a very good argument and I am surprised at the number of people who use it. Oracle would be foolish to try to support every possible Linux combination. What they could however do is support a certain release of a distribution (RedHat 4.0 for example).

You see, my copy of Oracle says that it is for Solaris X86 2.4 and I am using it on a Solaris X86 2.5.1. And not only that Sun releases new patches for 2.5.1 release almost every week. My system as it stands has an unsupported configuration. But I *choose* to keep it that way. If a patch from Sun breaks Oracle I am not going to blame Oracle.

I hope you and other Oracle advocates do see my point. Its not only Linux but almost all other OSes are changing rapidly these days. Heck Microsoft releases major service packs for my NT server all the time. But should it keep the developers from developing for that platform ?

>Otherwise, wouldn't it be possible for oracle to ship their own
>version of Linux?? (it's free after all)

Huh ? Why would they want to do that when people like RedHat are doing an extremely good job of it. They surely could include the a RedHat release of OS with every Oracle server for Linux and recommend that everybody use that.

I really like their webserver product. Well actually their web agent only that handles connections to Oracle databases. Their web listener itself is a much inferior product compared with Apache or Stronghold for example.

I think they should concentrate more on their dbms products instead of getting into writing web browsers, severs or God forbid OSes.

Atif Khan
aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu Received on Sat Jan 18 1997 - 00:00:00 CST