Re: Q1: Parallel Index Creation and Next Extents Allocation

From: Lun Wing San (Oracle) <wslun_at_qrcsun.qrc.org>
Date: 1997/01/17

vidya.shankar_at_firstdatacorp.com wrote:

> Are there white papers, information available on "Parallel Index Creation
> Process" and "how Oracle allocates next extents for this parallel index
> creation process"?

  You can refer the information on CBT, Oracle performance tuning guide and Education Series.

  However, I can anwswer your questions. For the process, the number of process spawned will be based on your parallelism required on the CREATE INDEX. If there is no such parameter, it will take the value from the default value. Each process has its own temporary space, sort area and extents allocated. As a result, the minimum extent created will be as many as processes you spawned. Moreover, please remember do not declare the number of process greater than the number of datafile of the index tablespace. Otherwise, you will waste many spaces.

---
Name   : Lun Wing San
Title  : Oracle Application Developer of Hong Kong Productivity Council
         Oracle Database Administrator and System Administrator of QRC
Phone  : (852)27885841